The “About” page of a website is an essential component of the overall user experience. It is often the first place visitors will go to learn more about your website, your company, and the products or services you offer. Many website owners make the mistake of using this page to talk about themselves or their company, instead of focusing on the visitor’s needs and interests. In this article, we will explain why it’s important to focus on the visitor when writing the “About” page of your website.
- Visitors are looking for solutions, not self-promotion Visitors to your website are typically looking for solutions to their problems or needs. They are not interested in reading about your personal or company history unless it directly relates to how you can help them. By focusing on the visitor’s needs and interests, you can establish a connection with them and demonstrate how your products or services can help them solve their problems.
- Focusing on the visitor helps build trust When visitors come to your website, they want to feel like they can trust you. If your “About” page is all about you or your company, it can come across as self-centered or narcissistic. However, if you focus on the visitor and their needs, you can demonstrate that you are customer-focused and committed to providing value. This can help build trust and establish a positive relationship with your audience.
- It helps visitors understand what sets you apart By focusing on the visitor and their needs, you can also highlight what sets you apart from your competitors. Instead of just talking about your products or services, you can explain how they are unique and how they solve problems that other solutions may not. This can help visitors understand why they should choose you over other options, and can increase the likelihood that they will convert into customers or clients.
- It shows that you understand your audience When you focus on the visitor’s needs and interests, you demonstrate that you understand your audience and what they are looking for. This can help visitors feel more confident that you have the expertise and knowledge to help them achieve their goals. Additionally, by showcasing your understanding of your audience, you can attract more visitors who are likely to be interested in your products or services.
- It can improve your website’s SEO Focusing on the visitor and their needs can also help improve your website’s search engine optimisation (SEO). By using language and keywords that are relevant to your target audience, you can improve your chances of appearing in search results for relevant queries. Additionally, if your “About” page is informative and valuable to visitors, they may be more likely to share it with others, increasing your website’s visibility and authority.
In summary, the “About” page of a website should not be written about you or your company, but should instead focus on the visitor and their needs. By doing so, you can build trust, showcase what sets you apart, demonstrate your understanding of your audience, and improve your website’s SEO. By providing value to visitors and focusing on their needs, you can increase the likelihood that they will become customers or clients, and establish a positive reputation for your website and your brand.