Understanding the users of your product is absolutely essential to ensure that you are targeting them with precision and accuracy and fueling a meaningful connection.
How do you do this?
- Put yourself in the other person’s shoes and understand their perspective
- Refrain from making assumptions or passing judgment
- Learn to understand and recognise their emotions
- Respect and respond to market diversity if operating in multiple locations
- Finally, communicate that recognition to them
Taking this approach means that your communications will no longer be all about you.
Take a moment to consider what your current marketing sounds like.
Now be honest, how self-centred is it?
It’s been said by many people in different ways;
Your customers don’t care about you, your products or your services…
Now that may be a bitter pill to swallow, but the truth is that they care about themselves, their wants and their needs.
It makes sense then that the path to altering your approach begins with the customer.
To develop a truly empathetic approach, spend time talking to your customers. Try to understand their values, perspectives, and world view, as well as their buying habits and what things they read, watch and enjoy.
When you can put yourself into their shoes, you can grow the understanding required to engage with them in a way that they trust.
Photo by Rawpixel on Pexels